Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Salt Springs, Ocala National Forest

As a general principle, I hate dirt.  I don't ride 4-wheelers; I don't go "mudding;" I don't walk barefoot if the ground is dirt.  (Beach sand and grass are different--they're clean.) With that said, the idea of camping has always turned me off.  I don't like feeling dirty.  I can't stomach the idea of bath houses and port-o-potty type facilities.  There's just something gross about all of it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a girly-girl; I'm not a prima donna; I'm certainly not a "princess." Simply put, I don't feel clean when I camp and I don't get clean in showers that other people have used (and done who knows what in!).
On the flip side, I do like sitting by a fire pit in the evening with a glass of wine or beer.  I love sleeping in a tent, listening to the crickets and frogs. However, I can't have ambiance without dirt, so camping just isn't for me.

Buying a Camper

After being rained out (flooded would be more like it) of our Fort DeSoto camping weekend, we began discussing a pop up camper.  After looking at a used one on Craigslist, we stopped in at a Camping World just to see what a new pop up would cost.  During my quick trip to the ladies' room, Jeremy & the saleswoman hit on the small travel trailer idea.  You know me...immediate answer, "NO."  We don't have the space for a travel trailer, and I'm certainly NOT going to pay that much for a toy.  Two hours later, we'd decided to buy a Coleman 15' travel trailer.  Between the cost, amenities (no dirt, AC, my own bathroom and shower) and the promise to buy me an outdoor carpet, we decided it might be a great way to travel with the kids and dogs. 

Let's Go Camping

Less than a week after buying our new travel-trailer toy, we set out on our first camping trip to Salt Springs in the Ocala National Forest.  I've lived in Florida my ENTIRE life, and I've NEVER heard of this place...and for good reason.  They don't even have cell service...or a stop light...or a McDonald's...or anything else that signifies civilization.  Oh well...

After a three hour drive up, we arrived and were set up in less than 10 minutes.  (Tent camping always took nearly an hour...hauling stuff from the car, laying out the tent, setting up the tent, prepping an area to cook, airing up mattresses, putting sheets on...uugghhh.) I was able to grill chicken outside and steam veggies on my stove.  We ate, were able to wash dishes in a sink, and were sitting by a fire before dark.  So far...not so bad!

The Springs

The initial reason we chose the national forest was for the kayaking and the springs.  Once we got to the campground and spring area, we abandoned the idea of kayaking and decided to play in the springs all day.  Salt Springs in one word...WOW!  Absolutely Beautiful! (ok...so that was three words)  We walked from our campsite to the springs.  The swimming area opened at 8am, and even when we got there around 9am, there were only a handful of families.  We attempted getting in to just swim around and float, but at 70 degrees, it was a bit chilly.  Luckily, the camp store sold tubes, and at $19 each, it was still worth it.  We floated around the swimming area/springs
all day.  We left around 1pm to get some lunch, but came back immediately and floated until nearly 4:30pm.  Honestly, we were thirsty, and since beer is only allowed at your campsite, we called it a day.  Even at the peak of the day, there were less than 50 people swimming in the springs.  A half dozen boats were anchored at the entrance to the spring area, but they stayed on the other side of the buoyed ropes. One of the boat captains played music all day, which made the entire day feel like a party.

Two deer and a BEAR!

After dinner our second night, we decided to walk back down to the springs to take pictures and check it out at sunset.  Again...absolutely beautiful!  It feels and looks like a secluded, secret pond.  We walked around the spring area for just a few minutes before another couple alerted us to a bear in the picnic area beside us.  I was thrilled to see the bear, but he wasn't as thrilled at my excitement and he ran off...bummer!  On the walk back to the campground, we came across two deer--a young buck and a fawn.  We took a side trip to the over flow parking lot.  Unknown to my dear husband, I was still looking for the bear...and I found him.  However, this time, we heard him in the bushes and he ran out near us.  Jeremy quickly recited the "Bear Beware" pamphlet to me, and we decided that where there is a young bear, his mother may not be too far behind, so we sped up our trip back to the campsite.

All in All

First of all, my opinion of camping has changed.  With the amenities and comforts of a travel trailer, it's not so bad.  In fact, we're planning another trip this weekend.  
Second, Salt Springs is a definite encore trip.  The entire time we floated around the springs, I thought about the boys swimming & snorkeling.  As it is now, we're planning on Spring Break.  We can walk to the springs, float as long as we want, walk back to the campsite, and disconnect.  Remember, when I said no cell service?  Yep...none!  No Wifi either.  If you want to use Wifi, you can walk to the camp store/ranger station, but other than that, you can hang up communicating with the outside world.  Over the entire weekend, I picked up service once and it lasted all of 10 seconds.  There is either no service or AT&T hasn't heard of Salt Springs yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment